Education Tax Breaks

By Avery Mills | Jul 5, 2018 6:15:00 AM

Education Tax BreaksPaying for an education can get expensive. However, there are a few avenues that you can take when it comes time to file your taxes that can help save you some money. Here are some of the most common education tax breaks:


An education credit, known as the American Opportunity Tax Credit and the Lifetime Learning Credit, will help reduce the amount of taxes that you owe. These credits can be claimed on yourself, a spouse, or a dependent child who is working towards a degree in higher education. There are certain eligibility requirements for the institution being attended in order for this credit to apply. If you are married and you are claiming the credit on behalf of your spouse who is attending school, you cannot file your taxes separately.


This deduction allows you to deduct up to $2,500 for interest that you may have paid on your student loans the previous year. While these deductions can be used for your spouse or dependent attending school, you must be ‘legally obligated’ to pay back the loan in order to qualify. If you are being claimed as a dependent by your parents or guardians, you are not eligible for this deduction.


In the state of Utah, these are known as 529 Plans. This type of savings plan has no age, income, or residency restriction and as long as the money is used for a qualified expense, such as room & board, tuition, books, etc., it is not subject to federal or state tax. If the beneficiary of the account decides not to receive higher education, the funds will remain in the control of the account holder.

The information contained in this blog post is intended to be educational and may not be a good fit for your situation. If you have specific questions or concerns regarding your finances or taxes, please contact a professional.

Topics: taxes, Lifestyle, education

Author: Avery Mills